Democracy 250 Atlantic Book Award for Historical Writing 2019
Call for Submissions
The Atlantic Book Awards Society is seeking nominations for a $2000 prize to honor an outstanding work of non-fiction that promotes awareness of, and appreciation for, an aspect of the history of the Atlantic Provinces.
Publishers with eligible titles are asked to submit 4 copies along with a completed submission form and a $20.00 submission fee per title. Cheques are to be made payable to:
Atlantic Book Awards Society.
Please read the eligibility criteria before submitting titles.
Deadline for this call for submissions is Friday, November 2, 2018.
A panel of judges will select three finalists. Finalists will be announced in March 2019 and the winner will be announced during the Atlantic Book Awards and Festival at the awards celebration in June 2019. Only short-listed authors and publishers will be notified once the selection has been made.
1. Non-fiction titles dealing with some aspect of Atlantic Canadian history (social, political, economic, cultural etc.)
2. Books published in Canada in 2018 for the first time (re-issues or translations of earlier publications are not eligible). Books written by more than one person are eligible, but the $2000.00 prize money must be split among multiple authors.
3. Authors must be either native or resident Atlantic Canadians. “Native” is defined as having been born and lived for a substantial portion of their lives in Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island (or a combination of these provinces). “Resident” is defined as being a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant and having lived in the region for at least 24 months preceding the entry deadline.
4. Diaries, textbooks, edited collections of essays and books of documents are not eligible.
5. Books that have been already awarded, or shortlisted for, other prizes are eligible.
6. Books must contain a minimum of 40% text.
Submission forms are available here.