Call for Submissions – 2020 Margaret and John Savage First Book Awards (Fiction and Non-Fiction)
The Dartmouth Book Awards Steering Committee is pleased to offer two prizes, each valued at $2,500, to honor outstanding first books published in 2019. One prize will go to the author of a debut work of fiction, the other to the author of a debut work of non-fiction. A cash prize will accompany each award. Publishers with eligible titles are asked to submit 4 copies along with a completed submission form. The entry fee is 20.00 per title (cheques made payable to the Dartmouth Book Awards). Please read the eligibility criteria before submitting titles.
Margaret and John Savage First Book Award Eligibility Criteria
- First books published in 2019. NOTE: If an author’s “first” published book was in a genre not eligible for this award, such as children’s books, that does not exclude them from submitting their first book in any of our eligible genres.
- Authors must have been a full-time resident in Atlantic Canada for at least two concurrent years preceding the submission deadline date.
- Books in any genre: Fiction, history, essay, poetry, biography, politics, drama, etc.
- Books must contain a minimum of 40% text.
- No anthologies.
- Books must be 49 pages or more and available for sale.
- Self-published books are accepted as long as they have been professionally produced and meet all other criteria.
- The Steering Committee reserves the right to accept or reject submitted titles. Rejected titles will not be returned.
- A $20.00 non-refundable submission fee for each title must accompany entries. Cheques should be made payable to the Dartmouth Book Awards.
- Children’s books are not eligible. All children’s submissions should be submitted to the Ann Connor Brimer Award selection committee. For further information about the Ann Connor Brimer Award, please contact Jocelyn Covert by e-mail at email@example.com Books written for older teens ( ages 16+ ) will be accepted.
- Collections of poetry are not eligible for this award. Poetry submissions should be submitted to the JM Abraham Poetry Award. Please go to https://www.writers.ns.ca/wfns-book-prizes/atlantic-poetry-prize.html for submission information.
- For the 2020 prize, books must have been published between November 2, 2018 and November 1, 2019.
- Books must be submitted no later than November 1, 2019.
For more information contact:
Halifax Public Libraries
60 Alderney Drive
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4P8
Tel: (902) 490-6789
The deadline for receipt is Friday, November 1, 2019. A panel of judges, made up of library representatives and community members, will choose the finalists. Finalist titles will be announced in March 2020. Winners of the awards will be announced at an awards ceremony in May 2020.