Call for Nominations
The Ann Connor Brimer Award for Atlantic Canadian Children’s Literature celebrates outstanding contributions to writing for Atlantic Canadian young people.
Starting in 2016, the focus of this annual Award alternates between young adult literature on even-numbered years and children’s literature on odd-numbered years. For the purposes of this Award, young adult literature is for readers aged 12 to 17, and children’s literature is for readers up to 11 years old.
Eligible titles are adjudicated by an independent Selection Committee recruited and facilitated by the Ann Connor Brimer Award Society. Submissions are evaluated for their originality, creativity, and quality of writing. Illustration quality is not considered. Each year, the Award presents a $2,000 prize to the winning title and $250 each to two shortlisted titles. The 2016 Award will be presented in May 2017 during the Atlantic Book Awards Festival.
- The Award’s alternating focus between young adult literature (on even-numbered years) and children’s literature (on odd-numbered years) means that eligible titles for each Award deadline will have been published in the previous two years.
- For the 2016 Ann Connor Brimer Award for Atlantic Canadian Children’s Literature, the focus is on young adult literature titles published between October 31, 2014 and October 31, 2016.
- In this initial year of the Award program changes, young adult literature titles published within this eligible time frame and submitted to the former “all ages” award scope may be re-submitted. Previous winning titles will not be considered.
Eligibility Criteria for the 2016 Award:
- The author must be alive and residing in Atlantic Canada at time of nomination.(Residence is determined by author’s permanent mailing address.)
- The book is intended for readers aged 12 to 17. The book has been originally published in Canada between October 31, 2014 and October 31, 2016. Reissued titles are ineligible.
- The book must be readily available in print. The book must be a work of fiction or non-fiction. (Textbooks are ineligible.)
- Eligible titles are adjudicated by an independent Selection Committee recruited and facilitated by the Ann Connor Brimer Award Society.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to accept or reject submitted titles.
- Submissions are evaluated for their originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as a strong appeal to the intended target audience.
- The Selection Committee will reach consensus on a shortlist of three books and a winning book from that shortlist.
- The decisions of the Selection Committee are final.
How to Submit:
- Send a completed Submission Form along with 3 copies of the title along and a $20.00 entry fee to:
Bedford Public Library
c/o Halifax Public Libraries
60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4P8
- Submission Form is available here: Connor Brimer Nomination Form for 2016
- Cheques to be made payable to the Ann Connor Brimer Award
- For more information, contact Linda Hodgins, Connor-Brimer Award Chair
- Complete submissions should be received at the above address no later than November 1st, 2016