Call for Nominations
The Ann Connor Brimer Award for Atlantic Canadian Children’s Literature celebrates outstanding contributions to writing for Atlantic Canadian young people.
Starting in 2016, the focus of this annual Award alternates between young adult literature on even-numbered years and children’s literature on odd-numbered years. For the purposes of this Award, young adult literature is for readers aged 12 to 17, and children’s literature is for readers up to 11 years old.
Eligible titles are adjudicated by an independent Selection Committee recruited and facilitated by the Ann Connor Brimer Award Society. Submissions are evaluated for their originality, creativity, and quality of writing. Illustration quality is not considered. Each year, the Award presents a $2,000 prize to the winning title and $250 each to two shortlisted titles. The 2017 Award will be presented in May 2018 during the Atlantic Book Awards Festival.
- The Award’s alternating focus between young adult literature (on even-numbered years) and children’s literature (on odd-numbered years) means that eligible titles for each Award deadline will have been published in the previous two years.
- For the 2017 Ann Connor Brimer Award for Atlantic Canadian Children’s Literature, the focus is on children’s titles published between October 31, 2015 and October 31, 2017.
Eligibility Criteria for the 2017 Award:
- The author must be alive and residing in Atlantic Canada at time of nomination. (Residence is determined by author’s permanent mailing address.)
- The book is intended for readers aged 0 and 11. The book has been originally published in Canada between October 31, 2015 and October 31, 2017. Reissued titles are ineligible.
- The book must be readily available in print. The book must be a work of fiction or non-fiction. (Textbooks are ineligible.)
- Eligible titles are adjudicated by an independent Selection Committee recruited and facilitated by the Ann Connor Brimer Award Society.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to accept or reject submitted titles.
- Submissions are evaluated for their originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as a strong appeal to the intended target audience.
- The Selection Committee will reach consensus on a shortlist of three books and a winning book from that shortlist.
- The decisions of the Selection Committee are final.
How to Submit:
▪ Send a completed Submission Form along with 3 copies of the title along with a $20.00 entry fee to:
Jocelyn Covert, c/o Bedford Public Library Halifax Public Libraries
60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4P8
Nomination Form is available here: Ann Connor Brimer Nomination Form for 2017
▪ Cheques to be made payable to the Ann Connor Brimer Award
▪ For more information, contact Linda Hodgins, Connor-Brimer Award Chair firstname.lastname@example.org * 902-465-5577
▪ Complete submissions should be received at the above address no later than November 1st, 2017