The Ann Connor Brimer Award for Atlantic Canadian Children’s Literature celebrates outstanding contributions to writing for Atlantic Canadian young people.
Starting in 2016, the focus of this annual award alternates between young adult literature on even-numbered years and children’s literature on odd-numbered years. For the purposes of this award, young adult literature is for readers aged 12 to 17, and children’s literature is for readers up to 11 years old.
Eligible titles are adjudicated by a jury recruited and facilitated by the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia (see their Ann Connor Brimer Award page here). Submissions are evaluated for their originality, creativity, and quality of writing. Illustration quality is not considered. Each year, the award presents a $2,000 prize to the writer of the winning title and $250 each to the writers of the two shortlisted titles. The next award will be presented on May 21, 2020 during the Atlantic Book Awards Gala at Paul O’Regan Hall, Halifax Central Library. (NOTE: For shortlisted titles, publishers will pay, within 30 days of shortlist notification, $300 per shortlisted title to offset travel and promotional costs. In the event that a book is shortlisted for multiple awards, the fee will be payable only once. Payment can be made by cheque, money order or bank draft made out to the Atlantic Book Awards Society.)
- The award’s alternating focus between young adult literature (intake on even-numbered years) and children’s literature (intake on odd-numbered years) means that eligible titles for each award deadline will have been published in the previous two years.
- For the next Ann Connor Brimer Award for Atlantic Canadian Children’s Literature, the focus is on children’s literature published between November 1, 2017 and November 1, 2019.
Eligibility Criteria for the award:
- The author must be alive and residing in Atlantic Canada at time of nomination. (Residence is determined by author’s permanent mailing address.)
- The book is intended for readers up to 11 years. The book has been originally published in Canada between November 1, 2017 and November 1, 2019. Reissued titles are ineligible.
- The book must be readily available in print. The book must be a work of fiction or non-fiction. (Textbooks are ineligible.)
- Eligible titles are adjudicated by an independent jury recruited and facilitated by the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia.
- The jury reserves the right to accept or reject submitted titles.
- Submissions are evaluated for their originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as a strong appeal to the intended target audience.
- The jury will reach consensus on a shortlist of three books and a winning book from that shortlist.
- The decisions of the jury are final.
How to Submit:
Send a completed Submission Form along with 4 copies of the title along with a $35 entry fee to:
Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia
1113 Marginal Road
Cheques to be made payable to the Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia.
For more information, contact Linda Hudson, Writers’ Federation of Nova Scotia, email@example.com, 902-423-8116
Complete submissions should be received at the above address no later than November 1st, 2019